Specialized Transportation Program
Program Description The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) provides Federal funds for the purchase of equipment to support transportation services for the elderly and people living with disabilities where existing transportation is unavailable, inappropriate, or insufficient. The FTA provides 80% of the cost of capital items, with the remaining 20% being provided through local funding match. The local funding may include transportation funding from other federal programs other than U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) programs or from DOT’s Federal Lands Highway Program. In areas over 200,000, a designated recipient needs to be identified. The Toledo Area Regional Transit Authority (TARTA) is the designated recipient of these federal funds for the Toledo Urbanized Area of Northwest Ohio. Those awarded funding through this program will work with the TARTA to secure vehicles and the reimbursement of 80%.
Eligibility Requirements This application is for transit agencies, governments, and non-profits that are seeking capital or operational funding for transportation projects which will continue or increase access to transportation options for seniors or individuals with disabilities within the Toledo Urbanized Area of Northwest Ohio (Lucas and Wood Counties). It is required that all projects funded from the Specialized Transportation Program be derived from a Locally Developed Coordinated Public Transit-Human Service Transportation Plan. The 2012 Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21) has maintained this requirement. Plan documents are available at the bottom of this page.
Application Process Funds are available each year and are distributed through a competitive application process. While ODOT administers the program for the those from non-urbanized (rural) areas, The Toledo Metropolitan Area Council of Governments (TMACOG) and TARTA are handling the scoring and awarding for those from urbanized areas (Lucas and Wood County). TMACOG serves as the MPO for Lucas and Wood counties in Ohio. ODOT has established the eligibility requirements to be used for all applicants.
If your agency is interested in participating in the Specialized Transportation Program, email Marissa Bechstein at email@example.com for more information and to be added to the mail list for updates.
For further information regarding the Specialized Transportation program, please click here to go to the “Section 5310 Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Guidance” or contact Marissa Bechstein, at 419.241.9155 ext. 1117 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.